Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My Love for Cheese













www.pdphoto.org

Really, I would marry it if I could. I love all kinds of cheese: cheddar, Swiss, Colby, mozzarella, cream cheese (especially when it is cream cheese frosting!), just to name a few. But today I would like to nominate brie as the cheese of my heart. I love to slice it thick on baguette bread (as pictured above) and melt it under the broiler. Mmmm...so good. Anytime I can muster up an occasion to splurge and get some, I do it. My first trip to Trader Joe's was about a week ago. I went in to see what all the hype was about. I didn't intend on buying anything except for when I came across the cheese section. The brie was on sale and I HAD to have some. That's all I wanted.

"Can I please, can I please??"

For most people, maybe it was unusual to walk out of Trader Joe's with only one thing. The guy at the check out counter said,

"That's IT?! That's all you have?"

"Yep."

"Are you sure?"

"Yep."

"Wow. Usually people come in for just a few things and end up spending $150."

"Not me."

"Would you like a bag."

"Nope."

Funny thing about Trader Joe's...everything is hormone-, pesticide-, yada yada-free. That's great and I'll support the cause whenever I can pretty much afford it. But, sometimes they just don't make sense. For example, on the label for my brie cheese, it says,

"Our cows just say noooo Our Farmers Guarantee" and then in the middle of the stamped seal it says, "MILK *from cows not treatedd with rBST*."
That's great! Really.

Then in even bigger lettering, just above the Nutrition Facts, it says,

"No significant difference has been shown between milk derived from cows treated with artificial hormones and those not treated with artificial hormones."

Kinda funny. But I still love my brie.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Who would have thought cheese would Brieng on a conversation about cow adolescence?

-The other half, Dave

Jackie said...

Shells! I haven't blogged in forever and today I checked it, and to my joyous surprise I saw a comment from you! It made my day. And what made it even better is that we only live a few hours away! I've been crazy busy with the Master's (I am so impressed with you finishing it with a family). I'm just glad there is a bit of a break next week. Did I tell you, I'm heading up to NYC for the Thanksgiving Day parade. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and post them. Hope you are doing great,

loves,

j