Friday, May 8, 2009

Favorite Things Friday #5

Square-Foot Gardening--the simplest way to garden. All I did was follow Mel Bartholomew's book and website and wala! I'm a gardener. I'm convinced the soil mixture is the secret: 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 of a variety of composts.

With a 4 x 4 foot square, we've planted:
onions, 2 varieties of lettuce, 3 varieties of tomatoes, beets, squash, radishes, beans, peas, cucumbers, and peppers! And our carrots have their own box that is a little deeper. We transplanted the tomatoes but everything else we started from seed.

Here are my radishes up close. Check back in a few weeks and I'll have tomatoes.

4 comments:

Simply Simple said...

Nice! I want to start gardening but don't know the 1st step!

Debby said...

great gardening ideas

Mad Hadder said...

Wow!! Good on ya!!!

Brooke said...

I read that book and thought it was great. I didn't actually do it though. We'll put in our nursery grown plants this weekend if we can get our sprinklers up and working!

Congrats and enjoy those tomatoes, my favorite!